T he history of Collins Funeral Homes dates back to May of 1938 when Charles A. Collins III, from St. Paul, and a recent graduate of the University of Minnesota, School of Mortuary Science moved to Middle River, MN. to work for Arvid Carlson of Carlson Funeral Homes as an embalmer/mortician. He later purchased an interest in the funeral home in 1942 and then in 1948 purchased the remaining interest to become the sole owner. That same year he purchased an interest in the Lorbecki Funeral Home in Greenbush, MN. from Lawrence and Clara Lorbecki and the Lorbecki-Collins Funeral Home was formed. In 1966 with “Charlie’s” son, Pat, about to graduate from the University of Minnesota, School of Mortuary Science he purchased the Lorbecki’s remaining share and built a new building at its present location on 4th St. and Minnesota Ave. In January of 1967 “Charlie” and his son Pat purchased the Kloempken Funeral Home in Karlstad, MN. where Pat and his wife Jeanne still reside. “Charlie” passed away in September of 1977 and Pat continued to operate the funeral homes in Karlstad, Greenbush, and Middle River. In 2003, Pat’s son Steve and his wife Meagan, both graduates of the University of Minnesota, School of Mortuary Science, moved to Greenbush and joined the family business as licensed funeral directors.